[pgpool-general: 9157] Re: no load balancing via a foreign table

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jun 27 10:14:50 JST 2024

Hi,

Please let me know if I have misunderstood the configuration.

Pgpool-II with 3 backend nodes is the foreign server of the stand alone db.
You connect to the stand alone db and run selects via the foreign tables.
However, all selects were sent to primary only.

If possible, could you please share the steps to setup the foreign server?

On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 22:50:59 -0600
Sbob <sbob at quadratum-braccas.com> wrote:

> All;
>

> I created a db node with 2 standby's
>
> then I setup pgpool and set it up with hosts talking to the 3 backend
> nodes above
>
> then I created a stand alone db cluster, and setup a foreign server
> pointing to the pgpool node, then I used the IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA to
> import the tables via the pgpool node.
>
> all this worked great
>

> however no matter how many selects I run via the foreign tables a "show
> pool_nodes" on the pgpool server shows  a select_cnt of 0 for all 3
> nodes, meaning the select_cnt for all the backend nodes are not getting
> set for queries via the foreign tables
>
> If I connect to the pgpool server/cluster and run a number of select
> statements then a "show pool_nodes"  shows increasing values for all 3
> backend nodes for select_cnt
>

> I set log_min_duration_statement = 0 on all 3 backend servers and re-ran
> multiple selects via the foreign tables, I see logging on the master /
> primary but no queries logged for the standby's
>

> It seems that pgpool is not load balancing queries that come from the
> foreign tables
>

> Any thoughts how to get load balancing to work via a foreign table?
>

> Thanks in advance

Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp>
SRA OSS LLC
TEL: 03-5979-2701 FAX: 03-5979-2702