[pgpool-general: 9160] pgpool-II 4.4 vs 4.5 as a pooler

Achilleas Mantzios - cloud a.mantzios at cloud.gatewaynet.com
Fri Jun 28 18:29:50 JST 2024

Dear pgpool community

I had the chance to talk to Muhammad Usama of Percona back in pgconf.eu
2023 last year in Prague. He told me that the community is working
towards making pgpool better as far as pooling is concerned. I had kind
of extensively tested 4.4 and was very much happy with the core team's
responsiveness and eagerness to solve problems. Life took me to other
trails in the meantime, but here we are again, thinking seriously about
pgpool once again, as a SQL proxy, SQL router, and SQL caching solution.

So, before I get my hands dirty with 4.5, I'd like to ask if there has
been any progress to the pooling part. Currently we rely on pgbouncer
using LDAP (via PAM) individual connections for users. Using two
systems, pgbouncer in front of the app and pgpool in front of the db,
kind of adds latency so we are exploring all options.

Thank you!